Dealey Plaza is in the historic West End section in Dallas, Texas. It is best known for the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, an event etched in history on November 22, 1963. In 1993, the Dealey Plaza Historic District was named as a National Historic Landmark so Dallas could preserve Dealey Plaza. The streets, mainly the right of ways, the buildings and other structures located close to the plaza, and things that have been identified as witness or assassin locations are being protected to preserve history.
Dealey Plaza is actually a Dallas city park. It is built on land that was donated by a Dallas philanthropist, Sarah Horton Cockrell. Completed in 1940, it sits on the west side of downtown Dallas. It is located where three streets meet, Main Street, Elm Street and Commerce Street. Dealey Plaza also encompasses the street and the assassination spot (marked by a white X on the pavement). It ends after the railroad bridge known to locals as the triple underpass.
The History of Dealey Plaza
Dealey Plaza gets its name from a civic leader, George Bannerman Dealey, who was a proponent for area revitalization. Born in 1859, Dealey was a news man publishing The Dallas Morning News. Dealey died in 1946. The plaza is outlined with several monuments, many pre-dating the visit and assassination of President John F. Kennedy. The actual monument of President Kennedy is actually a block away from Dealey Plaza.